- 1" X 2"
- Stainless (with chain): 0.5 ounce
- The stainless steel FIXX ID is Hand Polished, Laser Engraved, Surgical Quality Stainless Steel. Unlike our other IDs that have a satin finish, the FIXX ID has mirror finish.
- The Stainless Steel chain is a 27" ball chain. It can be easily shortened to any length below 27" with a pair of wire snips or a sturdy pair of scissors. To avoid choking hazards, the chain is designed to break under 20 lbs. of pressure.
- Currently, we have 231 available images that you can engrave on the front of the FIXX ID.
- Water Resistant
- All Road IDs are fresh and saltwater safe. We like to say they are "hydrophilic." If you paid attention in biology class, you'll remember that hydrophilic means "water lover."
the FIXX - named in honor of Jim Fixx
This Road ID was named "the FIXX" to honor and recognize Jim Fixx for his many contributions to the sport of running. Besides being the best selling running and fitness author of all time, Jim has been given credit for starting the Fitness and Running Boom of the early 80's. His best selling book, The Complete Book of Running, was followed by three others. At the time of his death, Jim was working on his fifth book -The Complete Book of Sports Performance.
Ironically, Jim Fixx died doing what he encouraged so many of us to do: RUN. On July 20, 1984, Jim was found unconscious on the side of the road - wearing only his jogging shorts. He was immediately taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead of a heart attack. Unfortunately, like most runners, joggers, cyclists, and walkers, Jim was not wearing identification when he had his accident. It wasn't until a day later that he was positively identified and his family contacted.
A statement from John Fixx
I recently had the pleasure of speaking with John Fixx - Jim's son. He had this to say: "Road ID is long overdue. In an emergency, runners, cyclists, rollerbladers and other outdoor enthusiasts should be able to count on accurate medical attention and the quick involvement of loved ones. Since my father collapsed beside the road almost 20 years ago, I have been looking for something like this for my friends, my children and me. Congratulations - and thank you - to the Wimmers for giving athletes and our families peace of mind."